- Category: Proverbs
- Hits: 138
Pro 25:28 Whoever has no rule over his own spirit Is like a city broken down, without walls.
To be emotionally and spiritually healthy we must be able to control our own spirit, which means our mind and heart. We must be able to direct our life, control our thinking and our emotions, and control our behavior.
According to Galatians 5:23 self-control is a fruit of the Spirit and every person who walks in the power of God has the ability to control themselves. It is God's will that we direct our lives in a good way and He empowers us for that very purpose. If we are fleshly in our thinking, then we will be fleshly in our living; if we are spiritual in our thinking then we will be able to control ourselves. If we cannot control ourselves it is because we are not living in the Spirit and consequently will be without the protections that God gives to every born-again Christian.
Our Old Nature is the cause of living without self-control. However, in Christ we are given power over our Old Nature because it (our Old Nature) was crucified with Christ and no longer has the power to rule over us, Romans 6:1-6. Also, we were buried with Christ but raised from the dead with Christ (by His resurrection) and joined to Him in His New Life; He puts His New Life in us and we now have the power to live an overcoming life. Because we are joined to Christ in His death and resurrection we are told that we are dead to sin and alive to God. Read Romans 6:6-12. Because our Old Man is dead, every born-again Christian, without exception is given power to control their thoughts, their emotions, and their behavior; Self-control is given to us by the Holy Spirit. We have not been given a Spirit of fear but power, love and a sound mind. Every person who walks in the power of God has the ability to control themselves. We may not have learned how to live in the power God has given, but it is resident within us, and if we will listen, God will teach us how to live in His power.
We walk by faith, not by sight, and the promises of God are lived out in the arena of spiritual struggle. The Scriptures tell us we have a Spiritual Enemy who opposes Christ, His Word, His plans, and His People. This Dark Enemy is a close friend of our Fleshly Nature and attempts to gain access into our New Life through our old Fleshly Nature. Even though our Old Nature went to the Cross with Jesus, Satan, through lies, attempts to resurrect our Old Man and bring us back into an old way of thinking and living. The devil is the Father of Lies and if we listen to him he will bring us back into a life of no self-control; we will be unable to follow Christ. We cannot listen to lies and be the person God has called us to be. If we will live and walk in the truth of the Word, then we will have the inner strength to control ourselves and live the life we are called to live.
How to control yourself:
- Be who you are in Christ. Put on the New Person, put off the Old.
- Renew your mind in the Word. Learn to think biblically.
- Make a decision to believe the Word. Write down your commitment, date and sign it. Remind yourself of your commitment, look at it often.
- Fight the good fight of faith. Let nothing take you back to your old way of living.
- As David slew Goliath, make a decision to slay every fleshly giant. You are called to be a giant killer.
- Rid your life of all hatred, bitterness, anger, unforgiveness, discouragement, worry, and fear. See them as enemies of God and enemies of your faith.
- Flee sexual sin. Make no provision for the flesh but put on the Lord Jesus Christ. Your body belongs to the Lord.
- Stop cluttering your life and mind with things. Turn off the T.V., turn off your smart-phone. Spend time with God, learn to be quiet.
- Learn to pray and learn to speak the Word over your life. Stop saying things about yourself that God does not say, start saying what God does say. See yourself with God's eyes.
- You are strong, you have overcome sin, the devil, every demon, and every spiritual stronghold. Learn to say what is true.
- Jesus has given you victory so begin to live your life as a victor, not as a victim.
- Develop some grit. Learn to fight and learn to win. Start today. Stop losing battles that Christ has won for you. Everyday, and on all occasions, tell yourself the truth. Know that Christ has already overcome every enemy for you, He puts His New Life in you and tells you to walk out the victories He has won. The Lord is your strength, begin seeing yourself as strong. If God is for you, who can be against you?
- Rid yourself of besetting sins, cast off every weight that hinders your life of faith.
- Learn how to pray, and learn how to overcome through prayer.
- There is an end to our life on Earth; be wise and prepare to meet the Lord. We are told to perfect holiness in the fear of God. Keep yourself un-spotted from the World. Tell yourself the truth. Life on Earth is very short but there is Eternal Life for the righteous!
God bless you,
If you wish to comment on this article I may be reached at the below email address.