- Category: Proverbs
- Hits: 2719
Pro 25:28 Whoever has no rule over his own spirit Is like a city broken down, without walls.
To be emotionally and spiritually healthy the scripture says we must exercise control over our spirit which means we exercise control over our mind and our heart. Self-control is a fruit of the Spirit, inherent in the Christian's New Birth is the God given ability to control themselves. Self-control is God's way of enabling you to live a good life.
Our Old Nature is the cause of living without self-control. However, in Christ, our Old Nature was crucified (put to death) and no longer has the power to rule over us, Romans 6:1-6. Also, our union with the resurrected Christ gives us a New Nature which is the source and power of our New Life. The Scripture says that being joined to Christ in His death and resurrection makes us dead to sin and alive to God. Read Romans 6:6-12. Because our Old Man is dead, every born-again Christian, without exception, is given power to control their thoughts, their emotions, and their behavior. We have not been given a Spirit of fear but power, love and a sound mind. We may not have learned how to live in the power God has given, but it is resident within us, and our new life is learning how to be the person God has called us to be.
We walk by faith, not by sight, and the ability to control ourselves is lived out in the arena of spiritual struggle. The Scriptures tell us we have a Spiritual Enemy who opposes Christ, His Word, His plans, and His People. This Dark Enemy is a close relative of our Old Nature and attempts to gain access into our New Life through the Old. Even though our Old Nature went to the Cross with Jesus, Satan, through lies, attempts to resurrect the Old Nature and bring us back into an our old and undisciplined way of thinking and living. The devil is the Father of Lies, and if we listen to him, he will bring us back into a life of hopelessness and despair. We cannot listen to lies and be the person God has called us to be. The Word of God is the Sword of the Spirit, and if we will live and walk in the power of His Word, then we will have the inner strength to be who we are called to be and live the lives we are called to live.
How to control yourself:
- Be who you are in Christ. Put on the New Person, put off the Old.
- Renew your mind in the Word. Learn to think biblically.
- Make a decision to believe the Word. Write down your commitment, date and sign it. Remind yourself of your commitment, look at it often.
- Fight the good fight of faith. Let nothing take you from your new way of thinking and living.
- As David slew Goliath, make a decision to slay every fleshly giant. You are called to be a giant killer.
- Rid your life of all hatred, bitterness, anger, unforgiveness, discouragement, worry, and fear. See them as enemies of God and enemies of self-control.
- Flee sexual sin. Make no provision for the flesh but put on the Lord Jesus Christ. Your body belongs to the Lord.
- Stop cluttering your life and mind with things. Turn off the T.V., turn off your smart-phone. Spend time with God, learn to be quiet.
- Learn to pray, learn to speak the Word over your life. Stop saying things about yourself that God does not say, start saying what God says. See yourself with God's eyes.
- You are strong and have overcome sin, the devil, every demon, and every spiritual stronghold. Learn to say what is true.
- Jesus has given you victory so begin to live your life as a victor, not as a victim.
- Develop some grit. Learn to fight and learn to win. Start today. Stop losing battles that Christ has won for you. Everyday, and on all occasions, tell yourself the truth. Know that Christ has already overcome every enemy for you, He puts His New Life in you and tells you to walk out the victories He has won. The Lord is your strength, begin seeing yourself as strong. If God is for you, who can be against you?
- Rid yourself of besetting sins, cast off every weight that hinders your life of faith.
- Learn how to overcome through prayer.
- There is an end to our life on Earth; be wise and prepare to meet the Lord.
- Keep yourself un-spotted from the World, we are told to perfect holiness in the fear of God.
- Every day and on all occasions tell yourself the truth.
- Life on Earth is very short but there is Eternal Life for the righteous!
God bless you,
If you wish to comment on this article I may be reached at the below email address.